Read Our Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I find more information?

Call the Centre Against Violence for more information or check the helpful links.

How much will the service cost?
The service is provided free of charge. Centre Against Violence receives funding from the Victorian Government.
I am worried about who will know I have come to your service.
As a client of Centre Against Violence your privacy and confidentiality are protected. Any limits to privacy and confidentiality will be explained.
Will talking about this really help?
Everyone is different and the staff at Centre Against Violence will find a way to help you. Sometimes it is through advocacy. Advocacy means helping you to locate and gain access to services and resources. Counselling can be done in different ways according to your preferences. Talking is one way. Art work and storytelling are other examples.
What happened to me happened a long time ago but still bothers me
It is very common for children, men and women to get on with life after sexual assault. Then some time later find that it is still hard to sleep or work or relate to people. It doesn’t matter how long ago the sexual assault happened, the Counsellors will still see you.
I want to stay with my partner
Many women choose to stay with their partner though they recognise there is abuse within the relationship. We will help you to develop safety plans while you exercise your choices.
No one has believed me before
We will. We will support you practically and emotionally while you tell us what is happening.
What if I change my mind about not wanting service?
You can withdraw from our service without any worries. If you want to come back at another time it will be fine. We believe in empowering you to make your own decisions while working with us. We accept your decisions and will continue to support you.
How do I obtain an Intervention order?
With our help, or by approaching the Magistrate’s Court independently, you can apply for an intervention order by filling out a form describing the violence and lodging it with a Clerk of Courts at your closest Magistrate’s Court.
How will an intervention order help?
It helps by setting rules that the perpetrator must abide by. If he doesn’t and you report it he will be charged with a crime. The behaviour he is using may not be a crime without an intervention order.
Will I have to see the perpetrator at court?
The answer depends on the type of court hearing you are attending and the arrangements available. If you are applying for an intervention order he has the right to attend. If you are going to trial for a criminal matter he will be obliged to be present as a defendant. In this instance it is possible to ask for a screen or a room separate to the court to provide evidence from.
Do I have to stand up before a magistrate?
As a witness to a crime you are asked to stand up before a magistrate to make a statement of what happened to you.
I’ve heard about victims of crime, how could they help?
Victims Assistance Program or VAP will help you prepare to go to court and will help you with practical resources. They will also help you to lodge a claim for compensation for the injury or harm you have sustained.
Do I have to describe what happened to me?
No. The staff at CAV will respect your needs at all time. It may be necessary to describe what happened briefly so that we can help but you will not be asked to repeat yourself or delve into detail.
What if I can’t cope with remembering what happened to me?
Memories of sexual assault and family violence can be disturbing and highly distressing. It is possible to attend CAV and be assisted to find some helpful ways to approach the difficulties you may have on a daily basis. This can be done without asking you to remember the past.
I know that a child has been sexually assaulted. What do I do?
Help them. You can help by reporting the crime to SOCIT at your local police station. You can ask for help to help them – contact us. We can help by offering safety planning and therapeutic counselling to help the child to regain a sense of safety and stability.

Keep in mind that Victoria has laws that compel adults to report sexual assault of a child by an adult. An adult is 18 years or older.